Wednesday, November 16, 2011

quilted advent calendar

December 1st is almost here are you ready?
Last year for Christmas I made 2 of these wall hangings for gifts and cut a third one out for myself, I figured I had all year to finish it...no hurry right?.  Well its been all year and I didn't make it so now that we are close to the time when you hang it on the wall I needed to get going! So here is the tutorial that we followed from Sew Mama Sew (when I say "we" I mean my friend and I who also made them with me, between the two of us we made 7, we bought yard cuts and shared the fabric) Since my squares were already cut and matched up (pattern wise) which is the time consuming part, I got right to it.  If you will notice the different styles of numbering that can be done....you choose what works best for you!  The first one I embroidered with colored thread on white fabric, cut out squares and sewed them on by machine, the second I used the printable fabric paper which went faster, and for mine I just freehand embroidery on circles of felt and then stitched the circles on the squares randomly (which might be my favorite method...quick and cute)
I followed this pattern close with thees exceptions:
The Numbering
I did not use the wonky piecing to stagger the pockets
I quilted stitch in the ditch instead of stippling


I added a greeting for each recipient as well as a 25th pocket on the back


So let me encourage you to make this lasting treasure for you family to enjoy this season.
I bought the fillers from fairy tale pumpkin on etsy and they are perfect!

I took theese pictures with my iphone and the instagram app, its fun to play with the filters, they make it look old tyme!

No comments:

Post a Comment